Sunday 1 September 2013

Review: Maggie Moore and the Secret School Diary

While Maggie's life is a little more dramatic than a normal child's life, it's a fiction book and I think that the events in the book - from the family gifts to the talent show - will keep younger readers engaged. It's amusing, easy to read and doesn't get boring. The little sketches in throughout are also quite cute, and the bubble writing for the months in something I remember doing as a child so it seems pretty authentic. This is a definite must have for younger female readers (or male readers if you think they can relate, there's no lovey-dovey eyes at boys so there's no reason why boys can't enjoy this book)!



Book Summary (from Amazon)


Follow Maggie’s hilarious adventures over one school year. She gets the worst part in the school play, her world record attempt goes disastrously wrong and as for her act in the talent show, well, let's just say she didn't expect underpants to fly out of her trumpet and land on the judge’s face! Still, at least she has her three best friends, and her diary.


Review

When I saw Maggie Moore and the Secret School Diary by Firna Rex Shaw I thought it would be like Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney, but for girls. As I help out in schools (sometimes specifically with reading) with children about the target audience age, I decided to give this a read. I found this book more relatable than Diary of a Wimpy Kid - maybe because I'm a girl? I really enjoyed it, though I would have liked a little more depth. I think it's good for children to feel like their own emotions are normal, so reading a fictional diary can be really helpful. That's probably the only reason I would have liked a little more depth in this book.

I do have one little issue with the book and that was the farm episode. The missing guinea pig is not explicitly found in the book, and I wouldn't want children to think it's okay to lie about a missing animal and then lie some more! Maybe I'm just over conscious of the impact literature can have on children... Since posting my review the author has updated the book to make it explicit that the guinea pig was found!

While Maggie's life is a little more dramatic than a normal child's life, it's a fiction book and I think that the events in the book - from the family gifts to the talent show - will keep younger readers engaged. It's amusing, easy to read and doesn't get boring. The little sketches in throughout are also quite cute, and the bubble writing for the months in something I remember doing as a child so it seems pretty authentic. This is a definite must have for younger female readers (or male readers if you think they can relate, there's no lovey-dovey eyes at boys so there's no reason why boys can't enjoy this book)!
Share:

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you so much for reviewing my book
    It has been very valuable to read your views and has helped me to improve the book. I didn't realise that it wasn't clear that the guinea pig had been found so I've updated the story to include a little bit more about that. I've also added some detail about Maggie's feelings about the missing animal.

    I especially appreciate the fact that you revised the review for the Amazon US site.

    F.R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Firna! It's certainly nice when author's interact with readers. I've also edited my review on the UK site to reflect your changes :) And will update this review to reflect the changes.

      Delete

© The Evening eBook Read All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates